The Prototype Model Maker is an important team member who is a mechanically-inclined, hands-on craftsman/craftswoman that builds, debugs, and tests limited batches of non-functional visual models and fully-functional prototypes of products as part of our engineering design process.
- Build hand-crafted prototypes with a focus on mechanisms, pneumatics and enclosures.
- Fabricate components using a wide variety of material types (plastics, metals, composites, etc…), and many fabrication techniques and tools.
- Operate CNC milling machines and 3D printers to fabricate plastic and metal components.
- Design mechanical components and solve problems in collaboration with Mechanical Engineers.
- Manage prototype bill of materials, prototype parts and material inventory.
- Work in collaboration with external shops, suppliers and partners to fabricate specialized components.
- Maintain expert level proficiency with machine shop tools.
- Conduct preventative maintenance, setup and repair of shop tools.
- Maintain an orderly, safe and clean shop environment and culture.
- Train others on safe and effective use of tools.
- Advise on new tools and expanded capabilities to build a world class model shop.
- Craft photo-worthy prototypes.
- Conduct prototype mechanical testing using lab equipment and an experimental approach to learning.
- Maintain healthy work/life balance
- Work collaboratively with a sense of urgency, ownership and attention to detail
- Maintain professional relationships, communication, demeanor, appearance and work environment
- Be conversant about the medical device industry and advanced technology product development processes
- Become knowledgeable of medical concepts including anatomy, physiology, and disease processes relevant to medical device work
- Make it happen, don’t just be there when it happens
- Be able to think on your feet
- Self-aware, others-aware, situationally-aware
- Humble, but self-confident
- Internally-driven for productivity
- Adjust focus from design details to broad project goals as the situation requires
- Work within schedule and budget constraints making appropriate trade-off decisions
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. and like working with a highly-engaged team of sharp people.
We recognize that top talent comes from all over the world, however Engenious Design is unable to offer visa sponsorship opportunities at this time.
Everyone matters at Engenious and we take a holistic approach to benefits because we believe that every aspect of our work matters. It should go without saying (but we’re saying it anyway!) that our full-time employees and their families get comprehensive healthcare (including health, vision and dental), life insurance, paid vacation/personal days/sick days, FMLA leave, paid maternity/paternity/adoption leave, profit sharing, HSA with employer match, mobile phone stipend, and more.
We encourage employees to collaborate and suggest expected and unexpected ways to continually improve benefits. Our benefits rival, and even exceed, those of large organizations – we’ve got your back.
Our Team Is Marked By These Four Cultural Aspiration
RelateWe invest in healthy relationships with our team, clients, suppliers, partners, and our community.
CreateWe create new things that improve lives.
ProduceWe work quickly to get what’s important done.
ImproveWe have healthy unrest with the status quo, and we take responsibility to make things better.